Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giggles!

Rather suddenly, Orin has started giggling at every slightly humourous thing. He is actively playing with us and laughing about the silliness that ensues.
For example, at supper, the game of the day is "drop the sippy cup on the floor over and over and over again and watch the nearest adult retrieve it every time." Well, I tried to stop one dropping before the cup hit the floor by catching it just as he dropped it. He caught onto this element of the game quite quickly and starting making like he was going to drop it, but kept hold of it and laughed hysterically when I grabbed the other side of the cup. Then I had a tug-of-war on my hands and this too incited uncontrollable giggles.
After bath, a similar scene played out. Dave pulled Orin out of the tub and placed him on his towel. As he was handing him off to me, Orin threw his had backward and laughed a belly laugh like no other I have heard. Apparently, this was so fun that it had to be repeated several more times before I finally had to rain on his parade and actually get him dressed for bed.
As I laid him down to dry and dress him, he got a little surly because I was ruining his fun and he hates this portion of bath time on a regular day. If he is kept distracted though, he can usually be kept from falling to absolute bits. In an effort to distract him, I started talking...I was telling a story. This is the nonsense I came up with and which drew Dave from the bathroom to give me an eye roll.

THIS JUST IN! The babies of the world, on this odd day in December, have all become rather giggly, rather suddenly. There is no rhyme or reason to the occurrence. They have just become silly or seem to appreciate the silliness of the world much more readily. To help us understand this strange happening, we have baby expert, Dr Flugalheimer.

[in my best Freudian/Schwarzenegger-esque accent]"Eet vood seem zee babies 'af all been abducted by zee aliens. Zee aliens 'af put zee radio transmitters in zee babies' brains and zee babies' laughter is transmitting zee informassssion collected to zeir new masters. Eet ees only a matter of time before zee aliens come to earssss to keednap us ohlll and take ohfer zee planet."

Well! That sounds terrible! Thank you so much for your time Dr Flugalheimer.

[insert accent]"Vee don't 'av time for your silly formalities, you fool! Run from zee babies, for zee luhf uhf Got!"


It did the trick...there was little crying, but I may have just confirmed that I need to get out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment