Friday, June 18, 2010

Hrmmm...juxtaposition.

Dave and I were talking about the potential for me to take a 4 over 5 (take four years of pay over five years, taking the fifth year off of work to do whatever you please) sometime in the future.
I was pretending money was also no object and talking of our buying a boat and sailing around the world. We'd take the kids out of school and I told Dave that he would take the non-teaching equivalent of a sabbatical ("You mean quit?"...smarmy bugger) and we'd go where ever we wanted for the entire year.
I said that we wouldn't have to worry about the kids' schooling because I'd make sure they fulfilled the literacy and numeracy outcomes and the learning that they got from the traveling would be more valuable than anything they'd get in a classroom.
"For instance, 'we are going to study China today; step out on the dock and away we'll go'."
Dave's response, "And today, we'll learn about typhoons; they are different from hurricanes, you know. Orin, go get the weather station and Isabel, tie Orin and yourself down. We don't want to lose anyone this time"
Smarmy bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment