Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Musings...

The strangest things can make you take pause and reflect. Today, for me, it was hanging laundry.

You know how the clothes on a clothesline can tell outsiders a little about their owners? You see scrubs, you guess nurse or doctor. You see teeny tiny baby clothes, you picture a new mom or a mom-to-be prepping her new little one's wardrobe. You see blankets, sleeping blankets and odds and ends and imagine a camping trip having just ended.

Hanging the hodgepodge of yoga pants and hoodies, jeans and t-shirts, small skirts and sundresses and tiny sleepers and body suits, I smiled at how the changes in my life were reflected on that line.

I used to hang clothes one day per week and the line's contents were comprised entirely of jeans, t-shirts, cute baby-tees, my work clothes and the bedding that was in the wash more for the fresh air smell from line drying than because it needed to be cleaned.

A few years later, I could be found hanging laundry a couple of days per week and added in the mix were more comfy clothes and tiny items covered in hearts and butterflies and drenched in pink and lavender.

I hang clothes several times per week now. There's a lot more bedding in the mix now due to bed-wettings and spit-up. More notably though are the small bits of blue, the sleepers with robots and soccer balls and the awww-worthy gym suits featuring Baby Tigger and Cookie Monster.

Just by watching my laundry, a person could see the transformations our family has taken and could see me clip each piece up with the deepest affection for what our life has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment